The Cake Smash! One of my ultimate favorite photo sessions is not only popular, but timeless! I say this for a couple of reasons... first can anyone remember when the cake smash tradition began? And second, starting new traditions for our own families, and having those photos for a lifetime is why I started my business!
A smash cake is typically a small colorfully designed cake and the one year old's first taste of sugar. Not all babies love sweets, but the mess they make and the faces they make... well, THAT is the photo shoot!
Top 5 things to do for a Cake Smash...
- Prepare your new one year old about a week ahead with a taste of cake... the sugar face is cute to capture but sometimes your baby will not like it after the initial shock... if they are prepared, they typically will take that second bite!
- Decide on a simple outfit idea... a cute outfit they are about to outgrow works, or maybe only a diaper! Let the backdrop and cake color scheme do the work!
- If doing a home shoot, choose a quiet place in your home (indoor with a drop cloth or cleanable surface/floor or outdoor in a shady grassy area), and send older siblings to another area so your baby can be the star of this show! Sibling photos can be done later on once everything is cleaned up, also! A studio shoot is ideal for controled chaos and lighting!
- Have plenty of warm/wet wash clothes for clean up!
- Enjoy the fun that unfolds! Every Cake Smash is a different experience! Your child's facial expressions, giggles, clapping and mess are all unique!
Photo sessions can be a calm and simple session in my local studio and include colorful backdrops and fun props! I even have an amazing local baker who can prepare simply elegant and organic mini cakes in any color or style for the session! Just ask about the FULL Smash Package which includes set/props and the smash cake at an all inclusive great price!
(sample cake photos courtesy of Katrina, owner of Cake Me With You!)